The Environmental Safety Division works to ensure the health and safety of the faculty, staff, and students at NYIT’s New York campuses. We:
- work closely with medical research staff to ensure laboratory safety and compliance.
- participate and serve on NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Institutional Biosafety Committee, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and Radiation Safety Committee.
- work closely with regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
- are consulted on all NYIT environmental and safety issues relating to the general counsel, real estate, insurance, bond renewals, and budgeting, in addition to operation and maintenance activities.
- conduct facility/laboratory inspections to identify, reduce, and eliminate sources of contamination from NYIT operations to the surrounding environment.
- create, conduct, and implement safety awareness training for all NYIT personnel.
- write, approve, and implement environmental, health and safety programs; standard operating procedures; and policies.
- conduct investigations into Indoor Environmental Quality issues/complaints.
- manage multiple large asbestos, lead, and mold abatement projects.
- file federal, state, and locally mandated documents.