No matter your major, you’ll have to submit the following to successfully apply to NYIT:
- Completed application for admission: to apply online, download and print an application, or request a paper application, click here.
- Essay: In 300 to 350 words, tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further them, or describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.
- Application fee: A $50 (U.S.) non-refundable fee, payable to NYIT, which may be waived with an official waiver from your college advisor or counselor.
- Transcripts: Records of all your high school work and previous college work; your midyear and final grades also will be required to finalize an offer of admission.
- Standardized test scores: All applicants must take the SAT or the ACT. You also can take the SAT subject test, which is not required but may strengthen your application.
- Letters of recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required for all applying freshman students. The purpose of these letters is to add strength to an application, especially during the scholarship review process. Certain programs require specific letters (see below).
Special Program Requirements
Several programs have special requirements, as indicated below. For specific questions, contact the Office of Admissions.
School of Architecture and Design: To apply to the architecture and interior design programs, you must have a minimum combined SAT score of 1,000 (critical reading and math only) or ACT of 21. If you can’t meet the minimum, you may still be permitted to matriculate, but with an undeclared status to the School of Architecture and Design.
School of Engineering and Computing Sciences: To apply to engineering programs, you should have minimum combined SAT score of 1000 (critical reading and math only), which included a minimum of 520 in mathematics. In addition, you should have adequate mathematics courses to permit your entry into Calculus I.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) Program: You must submit a portfolio to NYIT once your application has been received. For portfolio requirements and submission details, visit nyit.edu/fine_arts/bfa_portfolio_review.
School of Health Professions
B.S./D.O. program: You must have a minimum high school average of 90 and a minimum combined SAT score of 1,200 (critical reading and math only) or ACT score of 28. You'll also be required to interview with faculty of the life sciences department and New York College of Osteopathic Medicine at NYIT. To be considered for acceptance into NYCOM and invited for a personal interview, students must complete the NYCOM admissions application and meet the following criteria:
- GPA — maintain a 3.5 grade point average each semester
- MCAT score—match the mean MCAT score of the NYCOM class starting the year before a student starts at NYIT
- Completion date of application package—Feb. 1 preceding August start at NYCOM (must include MCAT score)
- Nursing: You must have a minimum combined SAT score of 950 (critical reading and math only) or ACT score of 20, and will have the opportunity to interview with nursing faculty.
- B.S./M.S. in Occupational Therapy: You will need to submit proof of 100 hours of volunteer work with an occupational therapist and an essay explaining your desire to work in this field. One of your two letters of recommendation must be from a licensed occupational therapist, an advantage you’ll receive with your volunteer work. You’ll also interview with occupational therapy faculty.
- B.S./D.P.T. in Physical Therapy: You must have a minimum combined SAT score of 1100 (critical reading and math only) and a high school GPA of 90. You’ll need to submit proof of 100 hours of volunteer work with a physical therapist and write an essay explaining your desire to work in this field. One of your two letters of recommendation must be from a licensed physical therapist, and an interview with physical therapy faculty is required. All pieces of the application must be submitted by Jan. 16.
- B.S./M.S. in Physician Assistant Studies: You must have a minimum combined SAT score of 1100 (critical reading and math only) or an ACT of 24 and a high school cumulative average grade of 90. To be accepted, you must be a recent high school graduate. Applicants with a bachelor's degree or have attended college are disqualified from entering the combined B.S./M.S. program.
Supplemental Academic Programs
NYIT also offers supplemental academic programs for students whose grades and test scores do not quite meet NYIT's general admission standards and who would benefit from additional academic and personal support. For more information about NYIT's supplemental academic programs and their requirements, please visit: