Every transfer student applying to NYIT, regardless of major, must submit the following:
- Completed application for admission: To apply online, download and print an application, or request a paper application, click here.
- Application fee: A $50 (U.S.) non-refundable fee, payable to NYIT, which may be waived with an official waiver from your college advisor or counselor.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges you have attended. If you have fewer than 24 credits of previous college work completed, you will need to submit official high school transcripts along with SAT 1 or ACT scores.
- GPA: Requirements vary according to major; for specifics about your intended major/program, e-mail email@example.com or call 800.345.NYIT (6948).
- Essay: Recommended for transfer students and required if applying for any life science degree. In 300 to 350 words, tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further them, or describe an achievement of which you are most proud and why.
- Letters of recommendation: Recommended for all transfer students and required for certain programs (see below). Even if you are not required to submit letters of recommendation, they can add strength to your application.
Special Program Requirements
Several programs have special requirements, as indicated below. Please note that while some of these requirements are strict, others can be more lenient. You may want to contact the department chairperson of your intended major if you have a question or concern.
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.): Students are not admitted directly into the five-year B.Arch. program, but are reviewed first for admissions to the B.S. in Architectural Technology (B.S.A.T.). After completing at least 30 NYIT credits and achieving at least a 2.75 cumulative average in all coursework or a 3.0 cumulative average in architecture courses, transfer B.S.A.T. students may apply for admission to the B.Arch. program. Admission to the B.Arch. program requires the submission of a representative portfolio of design work and its review and acceptance by a committee of faculty members.
Engineering and Computing Sciences: Transfer students may apply for transfer to NYIT into an engineering program if they have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3, and have completed 12 credits of required mathematics, physics, computer science, and engineering. Students may also satisfy these requirements by passing challenge examinations in these areas as provided for by NYIT policies.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.): Please be advised that admission into the pre-professional clinical phase is competitive. The number of students accepted into this phase depends on available resources, class cap limits, and the student's academic record.
College transfer students with 24 or more transferable credits must have:
- Copies of official college transcripts from all colleges attended
- A grade of C+ or better in each identified science and math course (see list and specific repeat course policy at nyit.edu/nursing/admissions)
- A college cumulative GPA of 2.75 (Please note while a 2.75 is the minimum GPA needed for consideration for admission, it does not guarantee admission. Many Nursing students have cumulative GPAs of well over a 3.0).
B.S./M.S. in Occupational Therapy: You will need to submit proof of 100 hours of volunteer work with an occupational therapist and an essay explaining your desire to work in this field. An interview with occupational therapy faculty is required. One of your two letters of recommendation must be from a licensed occupational therapist.