Honoring Our Veterans
NYIT is proud to serve veterans of the U.S. armed forces. We encourage veterans and their dependents to apply for educational benefits to help pay for NYIT tuition and assist with living expenses while enrolled at the university.
Why is NYIT a great choice for veterans?
- No application fee for veterans.
- Attractive financial aid packages, including our Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program.
- Troops to Teachers program that prepares you to teach a new generation of young learners.
- Flexible military leave programs if you’re deployed or transferred (including a tuition refund).
- Special Veteran Enrollment Days and staff specially trained in GI Bill regulations.
- Transfer credits for prior learning, including credit for military service and courses taken at previous learning institutions.
How to Apply and Receive Your Benefits
STEP 1 - Complete an Application to NYITMore
STEP 2 - Apply for Financial AidMore
STEP 3 - Submit an Application for Veteran Education BenefitsMore
STEP 4 - Submit your NYIT Veteran Services formMore
Once you’ve submitted your Form 22-1990, fill out and submit your NYIT Veteran Services form to Nancy Borchers via email at
STEP 5 - Submit Certificate of Eligibility to NYITMore
Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility from Veterans Affairs, forward a copy to Nancy Borchers via email at email@example.com or by fax (516.686.1074) or by mail to the address below.
You will receive confirmation of your certification for veterans benefits once you’ve been accepted and enrolled at NYIT.
STEP 6 - Submit your military transcripts to NYIT’s Office of Prior LearningMore
Once you have been admitted to NYIT, have your military transcripts sent to NYIT for prior learning credit review.
STEP 7 - Apply for the Yellow Ribbon ProgramMore
You will be alerted by the Office of the Registrar when the Yellow Ribbon Program application process is open for NYIT students each semester. Application instructions will be provided via email at that time.
Additional VA and Governmental Resources
- Veterans Administration
- Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Student Handouts, Brochures, and Regulations Pamphlets and Factsheets
- Reimbursement for admissions and proficiency exams, including SAT, GRE, GMAT, MCAT, TOEFL, CLEP, and more
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- National Call to Service Program
- Educational Assistance Test Program
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program
- Survivors and Dependents Assistance
- Reserve Education Assistance
- New York State Veterans Affairs
- New York State Veteran Tuition Awards
- Tuition Assistance
- Tutorial Assistance
Office of the Registrar
Harry Schure Hall, room 142-A
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000