Become a Peer Advisor
Now accepting Peer Advisor applications for the 2017-2018 academic year!
- Junior or senior status preferred; second-term sophomores may be considered
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or above
- Knowledge of NYIT policies and procedures
- Thorough understanding of the advisement and registration process
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to a full year of employment, preferably including summer
Step 1: Complete and submit the AEC Student Leader Application. (Login required)
Step 2: Request a recommendation from a faculty or staff member.
- Faculty and Staff: Once a student requests your recommendation, please complete an online recommendation. (Login required)
Hiring and Training
- Upon receipt of the documentation above, qualified candidates will be scheduled for an interview.
- For the interview, candidates will be asked to prepare and present a plan that maps out their course schedule for each semester from now until graduation from NYIT.
- Mandatory training and development sessions will be required throughout the year.
If you have any questions, email AEC@nyit.edu.
Under the guidance of the Advising and Enrichment Center staff, Peer Advisors will:
- Communicate consistently with students via phone, email, and face-to-face meetings throughout the academic year.
- Assist students with advisement preparation, schedule planning, online resources, and online registration.
- Hold regular office hours: approximately 4 hours per week; (10 hours per week during peak advisement and registration periods).
- Work during the summer to assist during Placement Exam and Orientation dates (exceptions may be made for students who are unable to work during the summer).
- Provide appropriate referrals based on students’ needs.
- Collaborate with fellow peer advisors to develop and conduct advising-related workshops.
- Convey major-specific information including, but not limited to:
- Major requirements and core curriculum
- Locating academic advisors within the student’s academic department
- Reviewing degree requirements to develop an academic plan for graduation
- Explanation of pre-requisites and co-requisites
- Reviewing pertinent information in the undergraduate catalog
- Be available to assist the Advising and Enrichment Center in department activities and events as related to the position.