Error, could not get entryID

Find answers to commonly asked questions below. If you can't find the answer you were looking for, or need further details, fill out an Ask an Advisor form to submit a new question to an AEC advisor.

Advising and Registration

Who is my academic advisor? When can I meet with him/her?

Each academic department provides academic advisement for its students. Depending on the major and campus, there may be one or more advisors.View contact information and schedules on the Academic Advisor Schedules page.

When do I register for the next semester?

Always refer to the Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines. Then follow the instructions on this page: Steps for Advisement and Registration.

I have seen a few different semester maps around. How do I know which one I should follow?

Use the semester map for your major and the academic year in which you enrolled at NYIT. If you changed your major after you were admitted, or left NYIT for a period of time and then returned, you must check your Program Evaluation to find out which catalog year you are following.

What are cycle classes?

NYIT offers courses that are condensed to eight weeks, but cover a full semester’s coursework. These classes are usually offered in the evening and meet twice as often as a traditional semester class in order to fit all required course hours within the condensed time.

How much time do I have to make changes to my schedule?

Students are free to add and drop classes through the end of the Add/Drop Period, typically the first 2 weeks of the semester or first 2 class meetings of a cycle course. Always refer to the Academic Calendar for exact dates.

I want to take a class, but I have not taken the pre-requisite. Can I take the class anyway?

Academic advisors, and in some cases, the Chairperson of the department can waive a pre-requisite by placing a special note on your registration form. You will have to bring the signed form to the Student Solutions Center (SSC). You will not be able to register for this course online.

What do I do if I want to withdraw from a course after the Add/Drop Period?

If you want to withdraw from a single course and remain enrolled in your other courses, you should complete a withdrawal form, signed by your professor and you. Always check your grades on NYITConnect to ensure that the withdrawal process was completed (a W grade will be posted for the course). Contact SSC to find out how a withdrawal may impact your financial status. Withdrawals must happen within the proper time frame in order to avoid a WF grade.

On my Program Evaluation I see one or more of the following: P, PR, W, WF, I, IF. What do they mean?

Why did I receive a WF for a course that I stopped attending or never attended?

There are two ways to receive a WF:
  1. If a student requests a withdrawal after the eighth week of the semester (or the eighth class meeting in a cycle) and is failing the course at the time.
  2. If a student attended the course at least once and then stopped attending the course without requesting a withdrawal.

I can no longer attend my classes. What should I do?

To withdraw from all of your courses, you must complete a Withdrawal from College Form with the Student Solutions Center (SSC). Be sure to meet with them to discuss your circumstances and any financial liability you may have.

I want to change my major. When can I do so and where should I go?

Consider this decision carefully and discuss it with your advisor first. If you determine that you do want to change your major, you will need to fill out the Application to Change Undergraduate Major. This form requires signatures from both the Dean for your current major and the Dean for the new major. You can change your major at any time, but you risk the chance of having your graduation date changed.

I want to take some classes at another college. What should I do?

You must speak with your academic advisor. Your advisor will review your eligibility to take a course outside of NYIT, verify that the course you are considering will satisfy a curriculum requirement at NYIT, and give you permission if eligible. Then, you will need to complete the form entitled Permission to Take Courses at Another College and receive approval from the Department Chairperson responsible for the course. Additionally, it must be approved by the Office of the Bursar and Office of the Registrar. This should all be done before registering for the course at another school.

Academic Probation

What is Academic Probation?

Students who did not meet the required cumulative GPA as outlined in the Academic Probation and Dismissal Policy are placed on Academic Probation.

When am I notified of my Academic Probation status?

The Office of the Registrar will issue a written notice of your academic probation status approximately two weeks after the end of the previous semester. You will also receive an email notification from the Advising and Enrichment Center to set up a meeting to go over your probation status, discuss your personal situation as well as resources that can help you, and possibly make changes to your schedule.

What do I do now that I am on Academic Probation?

You must set-up a meeting with an advisor from your local Advising and Enrichment Center to discuss the terms of your probation status and make any necessary changes to your class schedule.

How long will I remain on Academic Probation?

Your Probation Acknowledgement that you complete with the AEC includes a plan for academic success and the GPA necessary for you to return to Good Academic Standing. Hopefully, you will return to Good Academic Standing by the end of the current semester. If you do not, you will progress to Probation II. If, after a third semester, you are unable to return to Good Academic Standing, you will be in jeopardy of being dismissed from NYIT.

How can I return to Good Academic Standing?

Everyone’s circumstance is unique. It is important to speak with an advisor from your local Advising and Enrichment Center to determine your best approach. Here are some frequently suggested options:
  • Repeat any course for which you earned a WF, F, or IF.
  • Consider a change of major if you consistently receive grades of D or lower in your current major.
  • Meet regularly with AEC on your campus.
  • Go to the Learning Center for help with study skills, organization, and time management.
  • Take advantage of the multiple tutoring services available to you free of charge.
  • Meet with a counselor in Counseling and Wellness Services to address your needs.
  • Work with a Peer Advisor. As a fellow student, he/she can answer your questions and address your concerns on a peer level. A Peer Advisor will help you take an active part in your academic planning, and can help you stay on track with your goals.

What GPA do I need to earn in order to return to Good Academic Standing?

You must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of a 1.7 as a freshman, 1.9 as a sophomore, and a 2.0 as a junior and senior in order to return to Good Academic Standing. The AEC will help you determine the semester GPA that you must earn in order to meet the necessary cGPA to return to Good Academic Standing.

What happens if I am dismissed?

You will be informed by the Office of the Registrar that you have been dismissed from the college. You will then have the opportunity to submit an appeal letter. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and submit your appeal before the deadline. The Committee on Academic Probation and Dismissal will review your appeal and make a final decision to uphold or overturn the dismissal.

How can I be readmitted to NYIT after being dismissed?

If you would like to return to NYIT after being dismissed, you must:
  1. Wait a period of two academic years, or
  2. Complete 24 college credits, with a 2.0 cGPA or higher, at another regionally accredited institution.
Please keep in mind that readmission is not guaranteed. You must fill out a new application through the Office of Admissions if you attended another institution.

What is UAP and does it have anything to do with my Academic Probation?

Unsatisfactory Academic Progress (UAP) is the status given to students who fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid purposes. SAP is unique and separate from the Academic Probation and Dismissal policies. Students who do not meet the standards of SAP will not be eligible for federal or institutional financial aid until they appeal their UAP status successfully.

Learning Center

Can I receive tutoring at NYIT for free?

Yes! Tutoring at the Learning Center is FREE! Stop by or go online to schedule an appointment with a qualified tutor.

Who are the tutors?

Tutors in the Learning Center are trained upperclassmen with at least a 3.5 GPA and A grades in every class for which they tutor.

I requested a tutor. Now what?

You will be matched with a tutor for the required subject during one of the times that you have indicated you are available. You will receive an email that states the day, time, and tutor for your session.

Where do I go for my tutoring session?

The Learning Center can be found on the Old Westbury and Manhattan campuses at the following locations:
Old Westbury
Harry Schure Hall, Room 215
Monday - Thursday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
16 W. 61st St., Room 719
Monday - Friday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

How often can I have tutoring sessions?

Tutoring sessions are usually for one hour each week for each subject you request. Your tutoring will occur at the same time on the same day every week, with the same tutor. If you require extra time in one subject, you may request it by sending an email to the Learning Center on your campus.

What should I bring to my tutoring sessions?

Please bring your textbook, any handouts, your syllabus, and your class notes to every session.

Can my tutor do some of my work if I don’t understand?

Your tutor is there to help you understand course material. They will not do your assignments, create lesson plans, or teach you all of your required material.

How can I become a tutor?

You can to learn how to Become a Tutor online. On the website, you will find a job description, qualifications, and details on the application process.

Does NYIT offer online tutoring?

Yes, NYIT offers free 24/7 online tutoring to students via Brainfuse. To access Brainfuse, log in to your NYITConnect account. Click on the Academic Tutoring via Brainfuse link from your student menu - you will automatically be taken to the main menu page that lists all of the available services.

Peer Advising

Who are Peer Advisors?

Peer Advisors are upperclassman undergraduate students who have successful academic records, possess strong leadership skills, and are knowledgeable about the university's resources. They support students with matters related to advisement and registration, including the explanation of degree requirements and future coursework planning, and assist with the use of online tools such as NYITConnect. Peer Advisors help students adjust to university life by making them familiar with the policies and procedures stated in the Undergraduate Catalog and Student Handbook.

What do Peer Advisors do?

Peer Advisors assist first year students at NYIT with the transition to a new environment. Additionally, Peer Advisors help students prepare for their advisement appointments and navigate the NYITConnect Student Menu, including Class Scheduler, Search for Sections, E-Advising and Express Registration.

Where and when are Peer Advisors available to meet with me?

Peer Advisors hold regular office hours during the fall and spring semesters in Old Westbury and Manhattan. Check the Peer Advisor schedules online to see their availability.

Does a Peer Advisor only help students in their own major?

No, Peer Advisors have a general knowledge of all majors, with a specialization in their own field of study. Peer Advisors are trained to utilize essential resources to assist students in any major.

How can I become a Peer Advisor?

A Peer Advisor should have strong communication skills, knowledge of NYIT's resources, and a commitment to encouraging excellence in their peers. In addition, Peer Advisors must be exceptional task-managers who are eager to go above and beyond.

You can to learn how to Become a Peer Advisor online. On the website, you will find a job description, qualifications, and details on the application process.

Supplemental Instruction

What is Supplemental Instruction (SI)?

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a non-remedial approach to learning that targets historically challenging courses (courses with a high rate of D, F, W, and WF grades). SI provides scheduled sessions for students enrolled in the assigned course. SI sessions are informal seminars in which students review notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, and prepare for examinations.

Who are SI Leaders?

SI Leaders are exceptional undergraduate students who have successfully completed their assigned course (with a grade of A or A-) and are competent in helping other students understand the course content.

What does an SI Leader do?

SI Leaders attend each class meeting for the assigned course and then facilitate weekly focused reviews outside of the class, called SI sessions.

What happens at an SI Session?

During SI sessions, the SI Leader will review the course material in a comfortable, yet structured environment. Students will also discover appropriate applications of study strategies such as: note taking, graphic organization, questioning techniques, vocabulary acquisition, test preparation, and other helpful ways of reviewing material. 

Can SI really help me to earn a better grade in my class?

Since SI was created, students who attend an average of one session a week earned a GPA of at least .5 points higher than students who did not attend. SI has been proven to reduce the rate of D+, D, F, W, and WF grades for those who attend SI sessions.

How can I arrange to have an SI leader in my class?

SI Leaders are typically assigned before the beginning of a given semester. However, if you feel that you need an SI Leader for a course in which you are currently enrolled; AEC staff will determine whether or not this can be accommodated. If you are interested in having an SI Leader for a future or current course, please contact us at

What are the responsibilities of a professor to the SI Leader?

The professor works closely with the SI Leader to ensure that the appropriate material is being covered during sessions (the SI Leader should not review any material that has not yet been taught in class), provides resources (handouts, notes, etc.) when necessary for use during sessions, and communicates regularly with the SI Leader. The professor does not utilize the SI Leader as a teaching assistant or substitute teacher for the course.

How can I become an SI Leader?

You can to learn how to Become a Supplemental Instruction Leader online. On the website, you will find a job description, qualifications, and details on the application process.

Does the SI Leader work with the professor?

The professor works closely with the SI Leader to ensure that the appropriate material is being covered during sessions and to provide resources (handouts, notes, etc.) when necessary for use during sessions. The professor does not utilize the SI Leader as a teaching assistant or substitute teacher for the course.