About the College of Arts & Sciences
Learning by doing. Innovating across boundaries. Becoming an entrepreneur.These are some of the ways NYIT College of Arts and Sciences helps you prepare for your post-graduation careers.
As Apple founder Steve Jobs advised,"Technology alone is not enough — it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the result that makes our heart sing.”At the College of Arts and Sciences, we marry liberal arts with technology using the STEAM approach to bring together Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics.
What We Offer
- High-tech facilities and labs that deliver innovation and learning environments that prepare you for 21st-century careers.
- Life Sciences programs that balance study in the core disciplines of biology and chemistry with hands-on research opportunities alongside expert faculty.
- Division of Communication, Media, and Digital Arts, where you can pursue your interests across departmental and school boundaries, studying graphic design, journalism, technical writing, media production, computer programming, marketing, computer graphics, and related fields.
- The HIVE, our Home of Innovation, Visualization, and Exploration, where you can get hands-on experience in motion capture technologies such as FaceShift Headgear, Synertial Gloves, Oculus Rift virtual reality software, and work with 3-D printers and scanners.
- Discovery Core Curriculum, which provides foundational skills in communications, literature, scientific analysis, behavioral and social sciences, and philosophy that will help you become versatile and nimble in your field.
- Advanced Research Core, where you can work one on one in applications-oriented, graduate-level research projects with medical school faculty.
- Symposium on University Research and Creative Expression (SOURCE), our annual conference where you have an opportunity to present papers, posters, and presentations on your creative, scholarly, and research efforts to members of the NYIT community.
- Student-run enterprises, such as ProdCo, our quasi-professional media production company; Globesville, our interactive web TV channel; Carleton Group, our public relations and advertising agency; and The Campus Slate, our print and online newspaper for the Old Westbury campus.
- Internships and experiential opportunities, including service learning, alternative spring break trips, community based learning, summer jobs, global academic exchanges, and volunteering.
Pixar Started Here
Did you know that Pixar Animation Studios has digital roots in NYIT's Computer Graphics Lab? Formed in 1974, the lab’s roster included future Pixar President Ed Catmull and co-founder Alvy Ray Smith, Walt Disney Feature Animation Chief Scientist Lance Joseph Williams, Dreamworks Animator Hank Grebe, and Netscape and Silicon Graphics Founder Jim Clark.
Artists work with technologists. Steve Jobs would have been proud.Read more about Pixar's NYIT roots
From Classroom to Workplace
As a result of our hands-on career focused programs, most of our graduating seniors find their passion quickly. They are well-rounded educationally and already have practical experience that allows them to hit the ground running at a new job and immediately add value to their employer.
93.4% of NYIT grads are employed or go on to graduate school within six months of graduation.