Yuko Oda's animations, installations, sculptures, and drawings have been exhibited at Dumbo Arts Festival; Calvin-Morris Gallery, New York; Lumenhouse Art Space, New York; Beijing Today Art Museum, China; Gallery Aferro, New Jersey; 3rd Ward, New York; and the Artist Network Gallery, New York, among others. Her artwork is archived in the Viewing Program at the Drawing Center, as well as the Nurture Artist Online Registry. Oda's animation, "Take Off," was a winner in the international animation competition "Artport: Cool Stories for When the Planet Gets Hot", and she has traveled and screened internationally, including numerous international art fairs such as the DIA Center (New York), Art Supermarket (Stockholm), Art Miami Basel (Florida), Bridge Art Fair (New York), Diva Art Fair (Paris), and Scope Art Fair (Basel, New York).
Oda obtained her M.F.A. from Rhode Island School of Design and her B.A. from Duke University. She completed AN01 of Animationmentor.com's Character Animator Track and is certified as a Character Animator and Rigger by Alias Wavefront. Oda was an artist resident at Byrdcliffe Artist Residency (2015), Goetemann Artist Residency (2015), Chashama North Residency (2010), the Vermont Studio Center (2008), and at the School of Visual Arts Painting Residency (1999).
Yuko Oda describes the experience of studying art in New York.
- Professor Oda's artwork is expressed in diverse mediums, ranging from animation, digital sculpture, to 2-dimensional pieces. Here are a few of her recent projects, which can be seen at yukooda.com.
- Digital Sculpture Installations: Oda applies her techniques in installation art with 3-D printing technology.
- Animation: Oda's latest animation piece, "Imaginary Mountaintops" is a collaboration with French musician Lise.
- 2-D Mixed Media Artworks: Oda explores bringing together contrasting mediums—traditional techniques and materials merged with contemporary methods—in her 2-dimensional pieces.
- "ROOMS": British Contemporary Magazine, April 2015
- "500 Art Without Waste-Upcycled and Earth-Friendly Designs"
- Featured artist, August, 2014, Rockport Publishers
- NYIT Magazine: Artwork featured on cover and in article about 3-D printing/animation, 2015.
- ARTJ 301 Interdisciplinary Course: "Viscardi Industry Project", a unique, interdisciplinary course where NYIT Computer Science, Business, and Fine Art students brought together their skills to serve the needs of Viscardi youth in the form of collaborative projects.
- ARTC 401 Senior Projects I: A final project for the senior student in computer graphics involving an individual approach to formulating and executing a professional 3-D animation production.
- ARTC 451 Senior Projects II: A continuation of Senior Project I in which advanced concepts are explored and the projects are created using a professional animation group production pipeline.
- ARTC 201 Computer Graphics I: Introductory course in digital image-making which surveys the currently used application packages in the computer graphics field. Hands-on experience with emphasis on developing and understanding of the workings of a digital artist.
- ARTA 701 MFA 3-D Modeling and Animation: An introduction to the fundamental concepts of three dimensional modeling and animation. Topics include scene building, lighting, rendering, and basic animation techniques. Students will create several animations during the semester.
Professional Honors & Awards
- 2015 Artist Resident, Goetteman Artist Residency, Gloucester, MA
- 2015 Artist Resident, Byrdcliffe Artist Residency, Woodstock, NY
- 2010 Selected artist for "Green-An Exhibition with the Earth in Mind" Annemarie Sculpture Garden and Art Center in conjunction with the Smithsonian Institute, Solomons, MD (2010)
- 2008 Artist Grant, Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT
- ISRC Grant, New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury, NY
- 2007 Winner, Animation Contest. Artport: The World Affected by Global Warming, sponsored by New York Foundation of the Arts, The Regional Autonomous Government of Valencia, UNESCO Valencia, and Hukaran