Tips on Writing a Cover Letter
- Use standard business letter format. Your name and address and date should be in upper left-hand corner. Recipient information should be just below it on the left.
- Never use "To Whom it May Concern" or "Dear Sir/Madam." Call the company to get the name of the addressee.
- Immediately state who you are and why you are writing the letter.
- If you aren't applying for a specific job, identify the area you are interested in.
- Use the letter to link your resume to a specific job.
- Provide a strong close: "I look forward to hearing from you."
- Sign the letter by hand.
- For additional samples download the Career Resource Guide (PDF) with sample resumes, cover letters, and other tips.
Sample Cover Letter
One CAD Lane
Kingston, NY 12402
March 1, 2009
Ms. Paula Planner
Director, Hempstead Planning Board
222 Fulton Street
Hempstead, NY 11550
Dear Ms Planner:
I am applying for the urban planning intern position posted on Career Net at NYIT. I expect to receive a Bachelor of Architecture in May 2011 and would be available to begin working part time immediately.
While at AAA Design Build, I had numerous contacts with the New York City Building Department. I have photographed properties and taken measurements of existing buildings. This semester my design class will work on a project to redesign the Jamaica, Queens (NY) transportation hub.
I look forward to meeting you to discuss my qualifications. Thank you.
(your handwritten signature)