Payroll & Timesheets
Student Employment (OSE) staff works to ensure that all student employees are paid in a timely and accurate manor. We offer you important information to help this process along, including the Online Timesheet Tutorial on how to accurately submit your time sheets, what your pay rate will be, when the time sheet deadline dates are, and how often you will be paid.
Student Employment recommends that all students set up direct deposit. Once that is set up, your check will be automatically deposited into your checking or savings account. To sign up, fill out the direct deposit form or pick up the form in Student Employment. (Please note that it will take approximately two pay periods to have your direct deposit set up.)
Returning Student Employees Who Receive Pay via Direct Deposit
- If you received your pay via direct deposit to your bank, it will continue to be set up for the next academic year.
- If you would like to change your direct deposit, please download a new Direct Deposit Form, attach the proper bank information, and submit it to Student Employment.
Student Employees Who DO NOT wish to use Direct Deposit Must Pick Up Their Paycheck
- Payday is the 3rd & 18th of every month, based on when your time sheet was approved
- NYIT-Old Westbury students will have their paychecks sent to the department where they work
- NYIT-Manhattan students must pick up their paychecks at 26 W. 61 St, room 109
All student employees (federal work-study & student aids) are expected to submit time sheets at the end of every work week. After submitting your employment paperwork, a Timesheet Tutorial will be emailed to the you for completion. Rules and instructions are provided, and you are expected to electronically sign the Student Agreement at the end of the tutorial.
Once a timesheet is submitted, it must be approved by your direct supervisor, then receive a second approval from Student Employment. Once it has two approvals, it is sent to payroll for processing.
If your address or phone number changes, notify Student Employment immediately. Payroll does not receive the address and phone number updates provided to NYIT Connect.
Rules to Follow
During the school year, you may work up to 20 hrs. per week; (in the summer and during breaks you may work up to 35 hours per week). NYIT discourages students from working more than 20 hours per week. However, students may be permitted to work more than 20 hours per week (and no more than 35 hours per week) if they fit the following criteria:
- Have completed 15 credits or more
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Have a written letter from his/her hiring supervisor requesting to have the student work more than 20 hours per week
- Be approved by the assistant director of Student Employment to work more than 20 hours per week
At any time, Student Employment has the right to limit students’ working hours.
Students are not permitted to work until the Student Employment Authorization Contract is completed and signed by the student and supervisor, and is signed, authorized and stamped by a Student Employment Administrator. Student employees may not begin work prior to the date approved and stamped by a Student Employment Administrator.
Students can not work more than 8 hours per day.
- If a student works more than 6.0 hours in a day, he or she must take a half-hour unpaid break.
- If a student has not worked in a week, they must submit that they worked 0 hours for that specific week.
- Students are only permitted to work in one department at a time.
- All students must submit time sheets at the end of every work week! Please note: If time sheets are not submitted at the end of every work week, Student Employment will begin the termination process for that student.
Students will also get an automatic reminder email every Thursday to submit their time sheet at the end of the work week. Supervisors will also get a weekly reminder every Monday to approve or reject time sheets for the previous week.
- Once a student SUBMITS a time sheet, students receive an email stating: “Timesheet has been submitted but pending Supervisor & OSE approval.”
- Once a’s Supervisor APPROVES or REJECTS the time sheet, students receive an email stating: “Timesheet is approved by Supervisor but pending OSE’s approval.”
- Once OSE gives final approval, students receive an email stating: "Time sheet is approved & sent to payroll for processing."