In Summer 2013, NYIT's REU program hosted 10 research fellows selected from a diverse pool of applicants from across the United States. The research fellows had access to a state-of-the-art computer lab at the school's Manhattan campus, met for weekly project update presentations, attended weekly seminars and workshops, toured facilities like AT&T and the Rutgers University WINLab, and participated in social activities such as an ice cream social and a trip to Coney Island. At the end of the 10-week research cycle, the participating students gave a final presentation of their work, which included an interactive poster outlining their findings, and a formal detailed research paper. Students also received advisement on how to proceed toward graduate studies, and how to begin presenting work at conferences. 2013 REU students seized the opportunity to participate in local competitions, and two of the group's projects have been accepted to major conferences--one in Prague, and one in Miami.
1. "Indoor Localization for Mobile Devices," REU fellows: Nicole Gutierrez, Carmine Belmonte, and James Hanvey. Faculty mentor: Ziqian (Cecilia) Dong.
2. "Detection of Physical Attack of Smartphones," REU fellow: Kevin Prewitt. Faculty mentor: Wei Ding.
3. "Continuous Authentication for Mobile Device Users," REU fellow: Kathia F. Torres Aviles. Faculty mentors: Paolo Gasti and Kiran Balagani.
4. "Collective Model of Future Smartphone BotNets," REU fellow: Willie Tsang. Faculty mentor: Xiaohui Cui.
5. "Privacy-Protected Medical Applications on Mobile Devices," REU fellows: Michael Holmes and Jerald Liu. Faculty mentors: Paolo Gasti and Huanying (Helen) Gu.
6. "Implementation of GF(2^8) Operations and Multi-Variate Key Pre-Distribution Scheme," REU fellow: Cory Pruce. Faculty Mentor: Farshid Delgosha.
School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
Harry Schure Hall, Room 226C
1855 Broadwayst St., Room 810B
701 W. Georgia St., Suite 1700
c/o NUPT, 66 Xin Mofan Malu
+86 25 349 2393