News and Events

Jan 20 2015

NYIT Selected to Participate in Epicenter’s Pathways to Innovation Program

Jan 13 2015

NYIT Ranks Among 2015 U.S. News Best Online Programs

Dec 23 2014

Architecture and Medical Students Launch Global Competition for Healthy Designs

Dec 18 2014

BBC to Feature Home2(O) Project in News Segment

Dec 12 2014

NYIT Wins Grant to Develop STEM Programs

Feb 09 2016

Business Fashion Challenge Kick-off

Feb 09 2016

Old Westbury Study Abroad Fair

Feb 10 2016

Manhattan Study Abroad Fair

Feb 10 2016

Internship Certificate Program - Orientation I

Feb 10 2016

Using the Avery Index to Architecture Periodicals

Federal Aid

Federal Student Financial Aid

Please note that your financial aid package and eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid may be impacted and/or revised if any of the following situations apply to you:

  1. If you are pursuing an undergraduate level program of study but are registered for graduate level courses;

  2. If you are pursuing a graduate level program but are registered for undergraduate level courses (unless these courses have been approved by your academic advisor as preparatory coursework and the Office of Financial Aid has been notified).

If you need further information about your eligibility, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

NOTE: As of May 10, 2015, students and parents will need to sign-on to FAFSA, NSLDS, StudentLoans.gov, and StudentAid.gov using a FSA ID. The FSA ID will replace the Federal Student Aid PIN as the process by which students, parents, and borrowers authenticate their identity to access their federal student aid information. Students and parents who arrive at these websites will be directed to a link to register for their new FSA ID. The registration process should take a few minutes. Only the owner of the FSA ID should create his or her account. Please review the following link for step-by-step instructions: How to Create a FSA ID.

Pell Grant: Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. Pell Grants are generally awarded only to undergraduate students — those who haven’t earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree. Amounts change yearly.

Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU): The U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations that reduce the duration of a student’s eligibility to receive a Federal Pell Grant from 18 full-time semesters (nine years or its equivalent) to 12 full-time semesters (six years or its equivalent). This change is effective with the 2012-2013 Award Year and applies to all students eligible for Federal Pell Grants. If the institution receives notification from the U.S. Department of Education that a Federal Pell Grant applicant has reached, or is close to the Lifetime maximum award, the institution will notify the student and adjust all awards as necessary.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): FSEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need—those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) numbers. Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards.

Federal Work-Study Program: Under the FWS Program, you can work part-time to earn money for your education. The FWS Program provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school, helps pay your educational expenses and is administered by schools participating in the FWS Program. If you are eligible and accept FWS, please be aware that hourly wages are paid directly to students and cannot be directly applied against institutional charges. We strongly recommend that you get started in your job search as soon as possible once you arrive on campus. More than 500 students seek work-study employment each year. Contact the Office of Student Employment immediately at 516.686.7527 or e-mail.

Federal Perkins Loans: This loan is available through participating schools to undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students. They are offered by participating schools to students who demonstrate financial need. It is made to students enrolled full-time. This loan is repaid by you to your school.

Maximum Time Limit: On July 6, 2012, the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21)(Public Law 112-141) was enacted and limits a first-time borrower's eligibility for Direct Subsidized Loans to a period not to exceed 150% of the length of the borrower's educational program. Generally a first-time borrower is one who did not have an outstanding balance of principal or interest on a Direct Loan or on a FFEL Program Loan on July 1, 2013. For a 4-year bachelor's degree program, the maximum period you can receive subsidized loans is 6 years (150% of 4 years = 6 years). The period used will be reduced for less than full-time study. Once you have received Direct Subsidized Loans for your maximum eligibility period, you may continue to receive Direct Unsubsidized loans and your subsidized loans may begin accruing interest, including any portion of a Direct Consolidation Loan that was used to pay off a Direct Subsidized Loan.

Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan: This loan is available to students who demonstrate financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest while you’re in school at least half-time and during a period of deferment (a postponement of loan payments). Students must be registered for at least six credits in their academic level and academic program. The amount of your subsidized loan cannot exceed your financial need.

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan: This loan does not require students to demonstrate financial need. The U.S. Department of Education does not pay interest on unsubsidized loans. You’re responsible for paying the interest that accrues on the loan from the time the loan is disbursed until it’s paid in full. Depending on your financial need, you may receive both subsidized and unsubsidized loans for the same enrollment period, but the total amount of these loans may not exceed the annual loan limit. You can pay the interest while you’re in school or during a period of deferment or forbearance. Or, you can allow the interest to accrue (accumulate) and have the interest added to the principal amount of your loan. Students must be registered for at least six credits in their academic level and academic program.

Federal Parent PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student) Loan: PLUS applicants must meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid. If a parent is borrowing on behalf of a dependent undergraduate student, the student must also meet these general eligibility requirements. For example, the PLUS applicant and the student must be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen, not be in default on a federal student loan, and not owe a refund on a federal education grant. A PLUS Loan applicant must not have an adverse credit history. (A credit check will be conducted.) A PLUS Loan applicant who has an adverse credit history still may be able to receive a loan by documenting existing extenuating circumstances or by obtaining an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history. An endorser is someone who agrees to repay the loan if the borrower fails to do so. Students must be registered for at least six credits in their academic level and academic program.

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan: The law now allows graduate and professional degree students to borrow from the PLUS program. The terms and conditions applicable to parent PLUS Loans (made to parents of dependent students) also apply to PLUS Loans made to graduate and professional degree students. Students must be registered for at least six credits in their academic level and academic program.

Contact Us

New York »

Old Westbury
Harry J. Schure Hall, fl. 1
Email Us | Map It

16 West 61st St., fl. 1
Email Us | Map It

Canada »

701 W. Georgia St., Suite 1700
Email Us | Map It

China »

c/o NUPT, 66 Xin Mofan Malu
Email Us | Map It

United Arab Emirates »

Abu Dhabi
CERT Technology Park
(+971) 24-048-585, ext. 611
Email Us | Map It

Skyscraper Reference Works