In addition to regular admission requirements, applicants to all Fine Arts programs (Computer Graphics, Graphic Design, and Visual Arts Education) are strongly encouraged to submit a portfolio of completed artwork which is representative of current skills and meets the following guidelines:
- Ten or more pieces, including at least five finished drawings
- Drawings should be from observation, not from photographs or any other two dimensional sources. Pencil, charcoal or ink is suggested, but any medium is acceptable
- The remainder of the portfolio may consist of work in any other media including photographs that you have developed yourself and 3D Design/Sculpture
- Large (over 48” in any dimension) or heavy works may be submitted as slides provided the work is lit properly and well photographed
- All flat work must be matted and have minimum dimensions of 12” x 18”
- All Computer Graphics work should be presented in hard copy form
- All Computer Graphics animations should be presented on VHS tape
Appointments for Portfolio Review
The portfolio review takes place during the course of a personal interview. All applicants should call to arrange for an appointment.
- Old Westbury applicants: (516) 686-7542
- Manhattan applicants: (212) 261-1796
Please Note: Deadlines for Portfolio submissions are:
- August 15 (fall semester)
- December 15 (spring semester)
Portfolio submission for out-of-state applicants only
Please submit slides of your portfolio by mail to the following address:
Fine Arts Department
New York Institute of Technology
PO Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
*Please mark all slides with your name and Social Security number and include a numbered list of slides including media, dimensions, title, and date of execution. Indicate your desired major and semester of entry into the program. Slides will only be returned if a stamped, self-addressed, postage-paid envelope is provided.
Bring an unofficial transcript of your previous coursework so a preliminary evaluation can be done during your interview. The Admissions Department will mail a final transfer credit evaluation after full acceptance.