Live! Learn! Thrive with Us!
NYIT-Old Westbury Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing
Students who plan to take courses at the Old Westbury campus are encouraged and invited to live in the residence halls located just a short driving distance from the NYIT campus. A shuttle service is provided seven days a week to get you back and forth to campus. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing and we will be happy to assist!
There are five Residence Halls:
- King Hall and Anthony Hall are our First Year Experience (FYE) residence halls. New students are placed in these residence halls, and the resident assistants provide programs and activities geared toward college success for the new students.
- Roosevelt Hall is for upper-class students and features a small architectural studio space and houses the Sassy 6 Bear Community
- Bolivar Hall is for upper-class students as well as any students who may need housing during the winter intersession. Also, referred to as the International Student Hall and Athletic Hall
- Kennedy Hall is for upper-class students and hosts our Life Sciences Living Learning Community; you must be a life sciences major or graduate student to live in Kennedy. Kennedy Houses the Game On! Bear Community
Types of Housing- Suite Style Living
All accommodations are suite style. A typical suite has two single rooms, two double rooms, a shared bathroom and small common area. Some suites are 8 person, with all double rooms.
Residence Hall Staffing
All NYIT, Residence Halls are supervised by full-time professionally trained Residential Life staff, Hall Directors, Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants. Each building is staffed by a Hall Director, and a diverse staff of Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants.
What's a Hall Director?
A Hall Director (HD) is a senior level staff member under the supervision of the Associate Director of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing who serves to assist in the daily operation and management of one residence hall and is expected to supervise the Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants within their assigned building/community and assist in some departmental duties as assigned.
What's a Resident Assistant?
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a paraprofessional staff member of the Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing that reports directly to Hall Director, indirectly to the Associate Director of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing.
Primarily, the RA is concerned with the growth and development of each individual on their floor and the building community as a whole. Additionally, RAs are continually striving to enhance the quality of life for our residents through programming on varies topics and building effective relationships with each resident through ongoing positive interactions.
What's a Community Development Assistant?
A Community Development Assistant (CDA) is a paraprofessional staff that provide support mainly in areas of assisting with monitoring facilities workers, clerical assistance, safety operations and management, and major in particular parts of ORL including: Community Development Assistant for Office Campus-Housing, Community Development Assistant for Mosaic Mentors; Community Development Assistant for Leadership and LLC.
The Office of Residence Life & Off- Campus Housing has a Lot of Fun & Interactive Events! Please Talk With Your RA to Find Out!
2014 - 2015 Residence Hall Selection Information
As our academic year draws closer to its conclusion, the time has come to begin focusing on next year’s housing assignments. As a current student residing on the SUNY Old Westbury campus within the NYIT Residential complex, you are allowed to participate in the initial room lottery selection process for the 2014 - 2015 academic year. Learn more about the Housing Selection Process by reading our Residence Selection Handbook. The following items must be completed by Thursday, April 16, 2014 in order to receive a lottery number:
- You must complete a Residence Hall Application and Residential Contract for the 2014 - 2015 academic year. Remember that your Residential Contract commits you to living on campus for both the Fall and Spring semesters, a one year contractual commitment. A liquidation fee of $350.00 is assessed to all contracts that are terminated. Applications on-line, please review the application very carefully.
- Required is a $315 non-refundable deposit fee that must be paid at the Bursar’s Office. This deposit “reserves your space” and retains your room over others who have yet to complete this process.
- You must also receive proof of clearance from the Bursar’s Office. They will stamp your application or give you a clearance wavier noting your student account is paid in full and has a zero balance.
- Please take care of any outstanding parking tickets from the SUNY OW and NYIT campus, as this may delay your room sign-up.
- You must submit proof that you are registered as a full-time student with at least (12) Undergraduate or (9) Graduate credits for the Fall 2014 semester in order to sign-up.
The residence halls will be closed to all students during the following period: December 19, 2014 - January 18, 2015.
For students who prefer a quiet environment they may choose Kennedy Hall, Quiet hours begin at 9:00 pm.
For students who require 10 month housing they should chooses Bolivar hall. Bolivar will be open during defined breaks periods according to the HRL opening schedule.
Priority room selection concludes on Wednesday, April 30th. After this date, all returning unassigned students will be housed on a first received basis of completed applications beginning July 2014, or sooner. Remaining room assignments will be made on the basis of availability. Current residence hall students are guaranteed an assignment only if the required information is received in the Office of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing by June 1, 2014.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding room sign up, please speak with a residence life staff member.
Have questions? Feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 516.686.1402.
Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing Staff
Email us at email@example.com