Live! Learn! Thrive with Us!
NYIT-Old Westbury Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing
Students who plan to take courses at the Old Westbury campus are encouraged and invited to live in the residence halls located just a short driving distance from the NYIT campus. A shuttle service is provided seven days a week to get you back and forth to campus. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing and we will be happy to assist!
There are five Residence Halls:
- King Hall and Anthony Hall are our First Year Experience (FYE) residence halls. New undergraduate students are placed in these residence halls and the resident assistants provide programs and activities geared toward college success for the new students.
- Roosevelt Hall is for upper-class students and features a small architectural studio space.
- Bolivar Hall is for upper-class students as well as any students who may need housing during the winter intersession. Also, referred to as the International Student Hall and Athletic Hall
- Kennedy Hall is for upper-class students and hosts our Life Sciences Living Learning Community; you must be a life sciences major or graduate student to live in Kennedy.
Types of Housing- Suite Style Living
All accommodations are suite style. A typical suite has two single rooms, two double rooms, a shared bathroom and small common area. Some suites are 8 person, with all double rooms.
Residence Hall Staffing
All NYIT, Residence Halls are supervised by full-time professionally trained Residential Life staff, Hall Directors, Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants. Each building is staffed by a Hall Director, and a diverse staff of Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants.
What's a Hall Director?
A Hall Director (HD) is a senior level staff member under the supervision of the Directors of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing who serves to assist in the daily operation and management of two residence halls and is expected to supervise the Resident Assistants and Community Development Assistants within their assigned building/community and assist in some departmental duties as assigned.
What's a Resident Assistant?
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a paraprofessional staff member of the Office of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing that reports directly to Hall Director, indirectly to the Directors of Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing.
Primarily, the RA is concerned with the growth and development of each individual on their floor and the building community as a whole. Additionally, RAs are continually striving to enhance the quality of life for our residents through programming on varies topics and building effective relationships with each resident through ongoing positive interactions.
What's a Community Development Assistant?
A Community Development Assistant (CDA) is a paraprofessional staff that provide support mainly in areas of assisting with monitoring facilities workers, clerical assistance, safety operations and management, and major in particular parts of ORL including: Community Development Assistant for Residential Student Involvement , Community Development Assistant for Survey Data and Assessment and Community Development Assistant for Office Management.
The Office of Residence Life & Off- Campus Housing has a lot of fun & interactive events! Please talk with your RA to find out!
Thanksgiving Break 2015 Information
Thanksgiving Break is scheduled from Wednesday, November 25 - Sunday, November 29. Students must vacate the residence halls as of 6:00pm on Tuesday, November 24 and may return as of 9:00am on Sunday, November 29. Students seeking to stay within the residence halls during Thanksgiving Break MUST apply to stay within the residence halls. Students who apply for Thanksgiving housing will be allowed to stay at no charge during the Thanksgiving Recess. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, November 20 at 5:00 pm.
Thanksgiving Beak Housing Application: https://docs.google.com/a/nyit.edu/forms/d/1uf4dbfVNb0djJ9XdOLyIhPzd1T7nkCg-cqFIg1a4bM0/viewform
Thanksgiving Break Terms and Conditions:
- Students who remain or enter the residence halls during the Thanksgiving Break period without submitting an application will be charged a $75 improper check-out fine.
- All Thanksgiving Break applications submitted after Friday, November 20 at 5:00pm will be processed a $25 late fine.
- SUNY Dining Services will operate on a limited scheduling during this period. Hours of operation will be communicated to students who have applied to stay within the residence halls.
- Shuttle transportation will operate on a limited schedule during this period. Hours of operation will be communicated to students who have applied to stay within the residence halls.
- The Office of Residence Life will be closed from Wednesday, November 25 - Friday, November 27 and will reopen on Monday, November 30. RAs will be stationed at all times in each residence hall and University Police is available for emergency response 24 hours, 7 days a week.
December Residence Hall Closing Information
Residents must check out of their room assignments with their Resident Assistant at the conclusion of final exams in December. Students must check out 24 hours after their last final exam or by 6:00pm on Saturday, December 19 - whichever comes first. For those who need to stay within the resiudence halls beyond Saturday, December 19, the Office of Residence Life will offer a Housing Extension Application up until, but not exceeding, Wednesday, December 23 at 12:00 noon. Housing Extension Applications will become available upon students' return from Thanksgiving Break and students may incur an additional charge based on the nature of their extension request.
Have questions? Feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 516.686.1402.
Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing Staff
Email us at email@example.com