How to Apply to the D.O. Program
To be eligible for admission into NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM), you must:
- Have a baccalaureate degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education. Candidates from a college where a formal articulation agreement exists for a combined degree are an exception to this requirement.
- NYITCOM will consider candidates with credentials from a college or university outside of the United States who have submitted an evaluation of their transcripts by World Education Services or Globe Language Services to AACOMAS for verifying the equivalency of the minimum requirements for admission.
- Have completed an acceptable academic year sequence with a grade of “C” or better in the following prerequisite courses:
- English: six semester hours
- Biology, including a basic course in general biology or zoology (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- General Chemistry (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- Organic Chemistry (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- Physics (lecture and lab): eight semester hours
- Have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in the past three years and report your scores directly to AACOMAS.
- Accept NYITCOM technical standards for acceptance and matriculation
The above are minimum requirements for admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Students are encouraged to enroll in additional courses such as calculus, comparative anatomy, genetics, physical chemistry, biochemistry, psychology, sociology, and neurosciences. Community and hospital based volunteer or professional work is another way by which applicants can assess their interest in the healing profession and express their commitment.
To apply to NYITCOM, visit aacom.org. The AACOMAS online application allows you to submit an application to us through a secure web server. Once it is processed and verified, the admissions office will receive your completed application.
- May 4, 2017: AACOMAS begins to process application materials.
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for receipt of applications by AACOMAS.
- February 16, 2018: Deadline for receipt of Supplemental Application.
All applicants to NYITCOM are required to complete our Supplemental Application. At that time, you will be required to:
- Pay the $80.00 non-refundable fee or submit your unique fee waiver code
- State the campus/site you are interested in attending: Old Westbury, NY; Jonesboro, AR; or Either
Your application with NYITCOM is not complete and will not be reviewed by the Committee on Admissions unless all supplemental application questions have been answered and the fee paid.
NYITCOM will only honor verified AACOMAS fee waivers; if you received an AACOMAS Fee Waiver, please forward that email to email@example.com, so that the Admissions Office may provide you with a one-time fee waiver code via email that will expire within 5 days of receipt.
Please complete the NYITCOM Supplemental Application within 10 days of submitting your AACOMAS application.
The NYITCOM Supplemental Application will only be available to applicants until February 16, 2018.
Letters of EvaluationMore
NYITCOM strongly prefers that all letters of evaluation be sent via the AACOMAS system. We do not accept letters that are emailed or mailed to the admissions office.
This is the last cycle we will accept evaluation letters submitted through Virtual Evals and Interfolio.
- A Pre-health Committee Letter/Composite Letter
- Letters from 2 science and 1 non-science faculty who have taught you
- D.O./M.D. letters from non-family members are strongly recommended
- Letters from colleagues or supervisors at long-term work, research, or clinical experiences are valuable
You may transfer to NYITCOM to gain entry into your third year. You must have already completed the equivalent of all required first- and second-year courses. You may only transfer from osteopathic medical schools that are accredited by COCA. Each transfer request will be reviewed and eligibility determined on a case-by-case basis; at a minimum, the prospective transfer student must be in good academic standing at the originating osteopathic medical school.
Requirements, among others, include:
- Formal letter requesting transfer to NYITCOM
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, including undergraduate, graduate, and medical schools
- Record of MCAT results
- Written verification of student’s good academic standing
- Personal interview with NYITCOM faculty and staff
- Successful completion of COMLEX Step I
Application for transfer and required documentation must be submitted between Feb. 1 and March 15. Admission decisions will be made after all currently enrolled NYITCOM students are placed in clinical rotations (typically during the month of April).
Next Steps: After You’ve AppliedMore
We begin interviewing in early fall and continue through early spring until the class is filled. Decisions regarding interviews are based upon careful evaluation of an applicant’s completed application and all supporting documentation. Personal interviews are required of applicants under serious consideration and are granted only by invitation of the Admissions Committee. Interviews are scheduled on the Old Westbury, New York and Jonesboro, Arkansas campuses. Applicants should schedule their interviews as soon as possible upon receiving the invitation. We work on a rolling basis, so applicants are interviewed and accepted throughout this time period.
All admissions decisions are sent via email, providing you ample time to make your enrollment decision (we do not offer extensions). Please check your email regularly throughout the cycle to receive important messages from the Office of Admissions regarding your status.
UPDATING APPLICATION INFORMATION
Please refer to AACOMAS Instructions for General & Academic Update (coursework).
NYITCOM does not accept or update additional material(s) after you have completed your Supplemental Application. We consider all of the materials you have presented to us to be most relevant at the time of your application. Additionally, letters of intent are not required and should not be sent.
WITHDRAWING AN APPLICATION
To withdraw your AACOMAS application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request to withdraw from the current academic year’s application cycle. Please include your full name, telephone number, and AACOMAS ID number.
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine at Arkansas State University (NYITCOM at A-State)
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 119
State University, AR 72467