Campus Life Immersion
Whether you’re an international or domestic student in high school or college, our campus life immersion program offers you a unique opportunity to test-drive life as a student in New York City in a safe, secure environment.
Our program provides:
- Housing and meals—from the Saturday before your program begins to the Saturday after its conclusion.
- Cultural and social activities.
- College preparation programming.
- Airport transfers and daily transportation.
- Volunteer and community service opportunities every Friday.
- One week: $1,250
- Two weeks: $2,375
- Three weeks: $3,375
- Four weeks: $4,250
- Five weeks: $5,000
- Six weeks: $5,625
NOTE: You can only participate in the campus life immersion program while attending NYIT Academy courses.
Safety is our number one priority.
- Students from 15-17 years of age will be housed separately from students 18 years and older.
- Onsite chaperones will provide onsite supervision between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. All chaperones have undergone a background check within the last three years.
- Program assistants will accompany students to and from the NYIT campus.
- Additional support for international students will be provided by our Office of International Education and international student ambassadors.
- Supervision will be at an 11:2 ratio outside the classroom.
NYIT Academy students will be housed at the nearby West Side YMCA, from the Saturday before your program begins to the Saturday after its conclusion. You will share a double room with a shared bathroom. If you have a preference for roommate, please let us know on your housing form.
Three meals per day—breakfast, lunch, and dinner—are included. Lunch will be provided Monday through Friday on campus, and you will get a meal card with funds for snacks, weekend lunches, and dinners. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions—we can be responsive to all halal, kosher, vegetarian, and other dietary needs.
Every week, we will offer a coordinated series of evening activities between 6 and 9 p.m. Programming ranges from cultural and social activities to college preparation programs.
Cultural and Social Activities
New York comes alive in summer, offering an unmatched selection of experiences. Some possible activities include:
- Free theater and concerts in Central Park.
- Yankees or Mets baseball games.
- Visits to The Met, MOMA and other great city museums.
- Expeditions to city zoos and aquariums.
- Outdoor picnics and restaurant dinners featuring different ethnic cuisines.
- Walking tours of parks and neighborhoods.
- Sporting events and athletic activities.
- Movies, theater, opera, music, or dance performances.
- Optional “getaway” weekend excursions.
College Preparation Programs
Evening activities will also include special sessions with NYIT admissions, campus life, and career services staff to help you understand the college admissions process and prepare you for success at an American college or university.
Topics may include:
- Finding a College That is Right for You: An overview of American colleges and universities, and insights into researching colleges, the Common Application, and early decision and early action application plans.
- Intro to Standardized Testing: A review of tests required for admission to American universities, including the SAT and ACT, and for international students, the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE tests.
- The Culture of American Education: A look at life in an American classroom, from teaching styles and expectations to cultural norms.
- How to Get an Internship: Advice from NYIT alumni on how to find meaningful internships and great mentors, and how to balance your work life with your academic schedule.
- Career Services: Weekly workshops providing professional guidance, mentoring, and assistance on topics including how to network, writing cover letters and resumes, and preparing for successful interviews.
Airport Transfers and Daily Transportation
The campus life immersion program includes:
- Transportation to and from the airport: Staff members will meet you at baggage claim and take you to your residence in midtown Manhattan. We will also accompany you to the security check-in at the airport when it’s time for you to return home.
- New York City Metrocard: You will receive a filled Metrocard to cover bus or subway travel for classes, field trips, and other activities around the city while your are enrolled in NYIT Academy.
- Transportation between campuses: If you are participating in a program on the Old Westbury campus, a daily shuttle bus will take you to and from your residence in Manhattan.
Interdisciplinary Volunteer and Community Service
If you are participating in a four-day-per-week program, Fridays are reserved for volunteer and community service projects. You will have an opportunity to work with community members as well as American and international students in neighborhoods across the city.
Potential volunteer projects include (list still in progress):
- New York Restoration Project: Help keep New York City green by planting trees and caring for community gardens.
- Seeds in the Middle: Work with parents, students, and educators to improve the health of their communities, enhance arts education, and green the environment.
- The Hunger Project: Fight hunger in New York City and around the world.
- Hunger Free New York City: Assist low-income communities in gaining access to healthy foods through food drives and local farmers markets.
- Housing Works: Staff secondhand clothing stores that help support services for the homeless and people with HIV/AIDS.
- Covenant House: Assist with a clothing room for homeless youth.