Admission Requirements: Physical Therapy, D.P.T.
Thanks for your interest in the Physical Therapy, D.P.T. program.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy Admissions Committee reviews completed applications, and invites qualified applicants for an interview. The D.P.T. committee then renders a final admission decision.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
- Academic record that includes a balance of coursework in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, including competency in English writing.
- Science and math grades of C+ or higher in the following areas:
- Two courses in general chemistry with lab.
- Two courses in general physics with lab.
- Two courses in general biology with lab, not botany.
- One course in general/introductory psychology.
- One additional course in psychology.
- One course in college algebra, trigonometry, or precalculus.
- One course in statistics.
- One course in human physiology with lab OR Anatomy and Physiology I and II with labs.
In addition to academic requirements, you must also meet the Technical Standards for the physical therapy program.
Please note that this is a full-time day program with a limited number of evening and Saturday classes required. The professional phase of the program begins in May of each year.
- Proof of hours (100 hours is required; 300 hours is recommended) of volunteer or paid experience under the direct supervision of a physical therapist. It is strongly encouraged that applicants have more than the minimum number of hours completed at a variety of locations.
- Essay detailing your desire to pursue physical therapy as a career.
- Two professional letters of recommendation. At least one letter should be from a licensed physical therapist. All recommendations must be within the last six months.
- Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all schools attended. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Copy of college diploma or proof of degree.
Our D.P.T. program is very competitive and many of our accepted applicants far exceed our admission criteria. Please see below for admittance and yield statistics from the last few years:
Early decision: August 15, 2017 Regular decision: October 16, 2017
Submit your application through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). Specific instructions related to the application process can be found on the PTCAS website. NYIT admits students on a rolling admissions basis. Applications and decisions will be reviewed and qualified applicants accepted as they are received. Please be mindful that it may take PTCAS a few weeks to verify documents prior to releasing them to us. We strongly recommend submitting your application early or through early decision.
If you have questions about the program, contact admissions coordinator, Dr. Rosemary Gallagher, PT, DPT at firstname.lastname@example.org.